- 6-8 pieces galunggong (mackerel scad) fish
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced thinly
- 1 medium-sized tomato, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (patis)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Green onions (scallions) for garnish
- Clean the galunggong fish thoroughly by removing scales and innards.
- Heat cooking oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Fry the galunggong fish until they turn golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté garlic, onions, and tomatoes until the onions become translucent.
- Add the red and green bell peppers. Sauté for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Pour in the water and bring it to a simmer.
- Season with fish sauce, salt, pepper, and sugar (if using). Adjust the seasonings according to your taste.
- Return the fried galunggong fish to the pan. Simmer for a few more minutes until everything is well combined.
- Garnish with chopped green onions (scallions).
- Serve hot with steamed rice.