Add a delightful twist to traditional mealie rice with this Indian-inspired recipe. Mealie rice, also known as corn rice, is a popular South African dish made from corn kernels and rice. In this recipe, we infuse the rice with aromatic Indian spices, creating a flavorful and fragrant dish that pairs perfectly with a variety of curries and side dishes. With its vibrant colors and enticing flavors, Indian-style mealie rice will elevate your dining experience and transport you to the world of Indian cuisine.
Indian-Style Mealie Rice Recipe
- sauce pan with lid
- Wooden spoon
- Mesh strainer
- cutting board and knife
- basmati rice
- corn kernels
- vegetable oil
- cumin seeds
- chili pepper
- Rinse the basmati rice under cold water until the water runs clear. This step helps remove excess starch and ensures fluffy rice. Drain the rinsed rice in a fine-mesh strainer and set it aside.
- Heat the ghee or vegetable oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Add the chopped onion to the saucepan and sauté until it turns translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic, grated ginger, and chopped green chili pepper (if using). Cook for another minute, stirring continuously.
- Add the ground coriander, ground turmeric, and ground cumin to the saucepan. Stir well to coat the onions and spices evenly.
- Add the drained basmati rice and corn kernels to the saucepan. Stir gently to combine the rice and corn with the spices.
- Pour 2 cups of water into the saucepan. Season with salt and give it a quick stir.Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Once it boils, reduce the heat to low and cover the saucepan with a lid.
- Let the rice simmer for about 15 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Avoid lifting the lid while the rice is cooking to prevent steam from escaping.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove the saucepan from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld and the rice to steam.
- Fluff the rice with a fork or wooden spoon to separate the grains. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro leaves.
- Serve the Indian-style mealie rice hot as a standalone dish or as a flavorful side with your favorite Indian curries and side dishes.