Tuo Zaafi, also known as diehuo, is a popular local Ghanaian dish commonly consumed in the Northern parts of Ghana. Over the years it has become one of the most sought-after in the whole country.
In this guide, I am going to show you
- The ingredients to prepare tuo zaafi
- Ayoyo stew ingredients
- How to prepare tuo zaafi
- And many more.
Ingredients for Tuo Zaafi Preparation.
- Ayoyo leaves
- Salt peter (potassium nitrate
- Okro (powdered)
- Fish seasoning
- Tomato puree
- Fish (salmon, herrings)
- Cassava flour
- Corn flour
Steps to prepare Tuo Zaafi and ayoyo stew.
Follow the steps to get your Tuo Zaafi prepared. Kindly leave any questions in the comment box below.
- Chop the ayoyo leaves into smaller pieces.
- Chop onion into smaller sizes.
- Cut meat into preferable sizes, wash and put into a cooking pot
- Boil water under high heat
- Add chopped onion, powdered fish, powdered okro and dawadawa
- After 5 to 7 minutes, add ayoyo leaves and salt peter (kawu)
- Stir continuously until it ingredients becomes very soft. (do not cover)
- Blend onions, ginger, garlic and add to meat
- Simmer the chopped meat over medium heat
- Add salt and seasoning and cover. Steam for about 10 minutes
- Heat saucepan over medium heat until hot and add vegetable oil.
- Add the chicken if any
- Fry until all sides are equally brown
- Transfer it into a bowl and set aside
- Add chopped onion and garlic to the oil and stir until tender and starting to brown.
- Add grinded pepper, tomato puree and stir intermittently
- Wash salmon and herrings and add to the stew
- Add all spices after 10 minutes and allow to cook.
- Add salt to taste
- Add chopped onions
- Add fried meat (chicken) and allow to simmer for 5 minutes
The ayoyo stew is ready.
tuo zaafi prepared
Now let’s see how to cook the Tuo Zaafi (TZ)
- Pour some corn flour into cooking pot and add water.
- Mix thoroughly to form a uniform solution.
- Boil enough water and add corn flour to cook for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Fetch some of the solution made earlier into a separate bown.
- Mix dry corn dough and cassava dough and add mixture to the boiling corn bit by bit.
- Stir continuously and thouroughly to avoid lumps.
- Add the corn dough solution you fetched (step 4) to the Tuo Zaafi to make it soft and stir.
- Turn off heat after 15 minutes of stiring.
- Serve Tuo Zaafi with stew and soup.
Had any difficulty in preparing Tuo Zaafi? Leave a comment below.
Other recipes to try.
How to prepare Omo tuo