Tom brown is usually taken as breakfast in many homes. It is noted for its unique brown colour and very rich in minerals and vitamins.
It is mainly prepared with roasted corn flour. Roasted corn flour contains groundnut, millet, guinea corn beans, and other healthy spices.
Tom Brown is not indigenous to any tribe in Ghana. it is enjoyed by everybody and mostly served as the main breakfast meal in senior high schools.
It is similar to weanimix, although it comes with its own unique taste and health benefits.
Due to that, Tom brown is highly recommended for infants and toddlers as it helps to promote their growth and development
Summary of post
- Ingredients to prepare Tombrown
- Steps to prepare Tombrown (Tom brown recipe)
Spare me 15 minutes of your time whiles I take you through the simple steps of how to prepare Tombrown porridge.
Are you ready? Let’s get started.
Ingredients for Tom Brown preparation
- Roasted corn flour
- Honey (optional)
- Nutmeg (optional)
- Cinnamon powder
- A pinch of ginger powder
If you can’t get access to roasted corn flour, you can roast dry corn and send to the mill for grinding.
Tom brown preparation instructions.
- Pour the roaster corn flour into a clean glass
- Add a reasonable amount of water and stir to form a thick paste
- Make sure you stir uniformly to avoid lumps from forming
- Pour water into a cooking pot and set on fire under high heat
- Allow the water to boil and lower the heat
- Pour the mixture into the hot water
- Stir continuously and uniformly until it thickens up
- Add little pinch of salt and nutmeg (optional)
- For a spicy taste, add some cinnamon powder to the mixture and stir
- If the mixture is too thick for your liking, add water in bits.
- Add honey or sugar to taste and stir consistently
- Reduce heat and allow the mixture to boil for about 10 minutes
- Check if sugar is ok.
- Put fire off and remove food from fire.
- Your Tom Brown is ready for consumption
- Serve whiles hot
Things to note
- Add more water if the paste is too thick for you
- Likewise, add more roasted corn flour if the paste is too thin
- Make sure to stir the mixture continuously to avoid lumps from forming.
Frequently asked questions.
- Is Tom Brown good for babies?
Answer: Tom brown is a recommended food to wean your baby with, tom brown is nutritious and healthy. It is low in cholesterol too.
- How is Weanimix prepared for babies?
Learn how to prepare Weanimix HERE.