This recipe is going to teach you how to make light soup the Ghanaian way. Light soup is very easy to cook and it nicely pairs with fufu.
Light soup is a popular Ghanaian soup that goes along with several main meals.
If you have a cold or flu, just grab a bowl of hot light soup, sip gently and have some rest.
Ingredients needed for light soup.
Below are the ingredients required to prepare light soup. Note that some of them are optional. It all depends on your preference.
- 4 medium-sized Tomato
- Tomato paste (puree)
- Pepper power
- Pepper. a handful
- Spices (garlic, ginger, seasoning)
- 5 pieces of Okra
- 3 pieces Garden eggs
- Dry fish
- 1 pound of Cow or goat meat (optional)
- 1 pound of chicken breast (optional)
- Prekese (optional)
- 1 pound of pork (optional)
- Fresh fish
Steps to prepare Light soup.
The directions below are exactly the steps I followed to make my light soup. It’s simple and easy to do.
- Wash and clean your fish and meat thoroughly in a bowl of water. Remove bones if any
- Wash pepper garlic, onion and ginger and blend together.
- Season fish/meat with garlic, ginger, pepper and onion mixture. Add a moderate amount of salt to taste.
- Marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Steam under medium heat for about 8 minutes. Take out the fish from the stock to prevent it from dissolving.
- Peel and wash prekese, onions, tomatoes, garden eggs, okra and peppers. Add to the stock and add fill 2/3 of the cooking pot or saucepan with water.
- Boil under medium heat until the vegetables (onion, pepper, garden eggs and tomatoes) are soft.
- Remove these vegetables, blend until smooth and pout it back into the saucepan.
- Add a desirable amount of water.
- Add the fish and little amount of salt to taste. Simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Your light soup is ready
It can be served with fufu, plain rice, omo tuo (rice balls) amongst others.