I am going to show you the easiest way to prepare waakye and stew at home plus everything you need to know about this food.
What is Waakye?
Waakye is a local Ghanaian dish made with rice and beans.
It is one of the most popular delicacies in Ghana.
It is mostly taken as breakfast in Ghana and can be served with other accessories like spaghetti, salad, pear, fried plantain, sliced onions, gari, mayonnaise and stew.
There are several methods you can employ to prepare waakye.
Some people prefer cooking it with the indigenous hibiscus (waakye leaves) leaves.
Let us have a look at the ingredients you will need to cook this food.
You need this recipe in order to cook a delicious waakye.
How to cook waakye (Steps)
Follow the steps below to see how to prepare waakye. Kindly leave any questions in the comments section.
We’ll respond as quickly as possible
Delicious Homemade waakye recipe
- 1/2 cup Black-eyed Beans
- 4 cups Rice(Any choice)
- 4 strands Red Millet leaves
- In a large saucepan, pour beans and add enough water to cover it.
- Wash Millet leaves and add it to the boiling beans.
- Cook and boil the beans under high heat until its tender for 20-25 mins. (You can add Akaun to aid cooking the beans quickly)
- Remove the millet leaves. (Make sure the color of the water has changed to deep purple)
- Add the washed rice(any choice) and stir everything together. Add salt to taste
- Cover with the lid and cook on a medium heat.
- Add little water if rice is not cooked or hard. ( Put it under low heat to avoid burning)
- Serve waakye warm when tender and soft with various toppings.
Waakye can be served with the following stews.
- Tomato stew
- Beef sauce
- Pepper Sauce
More Ghanaian dishes to Try.
Popular waakye joints in Accra.
If you are unable to prepare waakye at home, you can buy some from any of the WAAKYE near you.
Popular waakye joints in Accra are:
- Aunty Muni Waakye
- Hajia Waakye Special
- Waakye Avenue, etc.
Thanks for visiting us.
If you have any difficulty in Preparing this food, Kindly leave us a comment and let’s get interacti