Hot Cross Bun Bread and Butter Pudding is a delightful twist on the traditional bread pudding, incorporating the iconic flavors of spiced hot cross buns. This comforting and indulgent dessert is perfect for Easter or any time you’re craving a warm and satisfying treat. The combination of soft hot cross buns, custard, and a hint of spices creates a luscious pudding that will delight your taste buds. Follow this recipe to create a mouthwatering dessert that will leave you wanting more.
Hot Cross Bun Bread and Butter Pudding
- mixing bowl
- baking dish
- hot cross buns
- unsalted butter, softened
- cups milk
- heavy cream
- large eggs
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg
- cup raisins or currants
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Slice the hot cross buns in half horizontally. Spread each half with softened butter.
- Arrange the bottom halves of the buns in the greased baking dish, buttered side up.
- Sprinkle the raisins or currants, if using, evenly over the buns.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk and heavy cream over medium heat until it starts to simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg until well combined.
- Slowly pour the warm milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.Pour the custard mixture evenly over the arranged hot cross buns in the baking dish, allowing it to soak into the buns.
- Place the top halves of the buns, buttered side down, on top of the custard-soaked buns in the dish.Bake in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until the custard is set and the top of the pudding is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Dust the top of the pudding with powdered sugar.
- Serve the hot cross bun bread and butter pudding warm, either on its own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy the irresistible combination of flavors and textures!