Wors stew is a delicious and comforting South African dish made with traditional boerewors sausages and a medley of vegetables cooked in a rich and flavorful tomato-based sauce. This recipe will guide you through the steps of creating a hearty wors stew that is perfect for a satisfying meal. With its robust flavors and tender sausages, this stew is sure to be a hit at your dinner table.
Flavorful Wors Stew Recipe
- large pot
- cutting board and knife
- Wooden spoon
- borewors sausages
- dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- bay leaf
- cooking oil
- fresh parsley
- Heat a bit of cooking oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.Add the boerewors sausages to the pot and brown them on all sides until they develop a golden color. This step adds depth of flavor to the stew. Once browned, remove the sausages from the pot and set them aside.
- In the same pot, add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes soft and translucent.Add the chopped tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, and bell pepper to the pot. Stir well to combine the vegetables.
- Stir in the tomato paste, paprika, dried thyme, dried oregano, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix all the ingredients together.Return the browned boerewors sausages to the pot, nestling them among the vegetables.
- Pour enough water into the pot to just cover the sausages and vegetables. Bring the mixture to a boil.Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, and simmer for about 30-40 minutes, or until the sausages are cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Taste the stew and adjust the seasonings if needed.Remove the bay leaf from the pot before serving.
- Serve the wors stew hot, garnished with fresh parsley or cilantro if desired. Enjoy the flavorful wors stew with rice, mashed potatoes, or crusty bread.