Gem squash is a delightful and versatile vegetable that can be enjoyed as a side dish or incorporated into various recipes. This step-by-step guide will walk you through the process of cooking gem squash to perfection. Whether you prefer it tender and buttery or with a hint of crunch, this recipe will help you achieve the desired texture and bring out the natural sweetness of gem squash.
Delicious Gem Squash Recipe
- large pot
- Serving dish
- steamer basket
- cutting board and knife
- gem squash
- salt and pepper
- additional seasonings
- Wash the gem squash thoroughly under running water to remove any dirt or debris.
- Fill a pot with water, ensuring the water doesn't touch the bottom of the steamer basket.
- Place the steamer basket inside the pot and bring the water to a boil. Carefully place the gem squash in the steamer basket and cover the pot with a lid.
- Steam the gem squash for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Again, you can check for doneness by inserting a fork into the squash. Once tender, carefully remove the gem squash from the steamer basket and transfer it to a serving dish.
- Allow the gem squash to cool slightly for easy handling. Slice off the stem end of the gem squash using a knife. Cut the gem squash in half lengthwise.
- Use a spoon or fork to scoop out the seeds and discard them.If desired, add a pat of butter or drizzle olive oil over the gem squash halves. Season with salt, pepper, and any additional seasonings or fillings of your choice.
- Serve the gem squash immediately as a delicious side dish or use it in your favorite recipes.