Chicken gizzards are a popular ingredient in many cuisines around the world. They are a part of the digestive system of a chicken and are rich in flavor and nutrients. Gizzards have a firm texture and a slightly gamey taste, which makes them a favorite among those who enjoy offal.
To prepare chicken gizzards, start by cleaning them thoroughly. Remove any excess fat or membranes and rinse them under cold water. Some people prefer to boil the gizzards for a few minutes before using them in recipes to further tenderize them.
How to cook chicken gizzards stew
- - 1 pound chicken gizzards, cleaned and trimmed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz/400g)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Clean and trim the chicken gizzards by removing any tough membranes or fatty parts. Rinse them thoroughly under cold water.2. Heat the cooking oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and minced garlic. Sauté until the onions become translucent and the garlic is fragrant.3. Add the chicken gizzards to the pot and cook them for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are lightly browned.4. Add the carrots, potatoes, diced tomatoes (with their juice), chicken broth, dried thyme, and paprika to the pot. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.5. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 1 to 1.5 hours, or until the gizzards are tender. Stir occasionally and add more broth if needed to maintain the desired consistency.6. Once the gizzards are tender, season the stew with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the seasoning according to your preference.7. Continue simmering the stew for another 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.8. Serve the chicken gizzards stew hot. You can garnish it with chopped fresh parsley for added freshness and flavor.Enjoy your homemade chicken gizzards stew! It pairs well with rice, bread, or mashed potatoes.