Indulge in the rich and aromatic flavors of butter chicken with this delicious recipe. Butter chicken, also known as murgh makhani, is a popular Indian dish known for its creamy tomato-based sauce and tender chicken pieces. With a harmonious blend of spices and a velvety sauce, butter chicken is a delight for the taste buds. This recipe will guide you through the steps to create a mouthwatering butter chicken dish that will leave you craving for more.
Butter Chicken in Creamy Sauce Recipe
- large bowl
- Wooden spoon
- cooking spoon
- Serving dish
- boneless chicken
- plain yogurt
- lemon juice
- chili powder
- heavy cream
- garam masala
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken pieces with yogurt, lemon juice, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix well to ensure the chicken is coated with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight for the best flavor.
- Heat the butter in a skillet or large pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the pan. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the crushed tomatoes to the pan and stir well to combine with the onion, garlic, and ginger mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the heavy cream to the pan. Stir well to combine with the tomato mixture.
- Add the ground cumin, ground coriander, ground turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, and sugar (if using) to the sauce. Season with salt to taste. Stir everything together and simmer for 10-15 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken slightly
- While the sauce is simmering, preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Grill the marinated chicken pieces until cooked through and slightly charred, about 4-5 minutes per side. Alternatively, you can cook the chicken on a stovetop skillet or bake it in the oven until cooked through
- Once the chicken is cooked, add it to the simmering sauce. Stir well to coat the chicken pieces with the creamy sauce. Allow it to simmer for an additional 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. If you prefer a smoother sauce, use a blender or immersion blender to puree the sauce until smooth. This step is optional but can help achieve a more uniform texture.
- Transfer the butter chicken to a serving dish and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro leaves.