Indulge in the rich and aromatic flavors of Butter Chicken Curry, a classic Indian dish that has gained popularity worldwide. This recipe brings together tender pieces of marinated chicken in a velvety tomato-based sauce, enriched with butter and a blend of fragrant spices. The result is a harmonious symphony of flavors that will leave you craving for more. Whether you’re a fan of Indian cuisine or simply looking to explore new flavors, this Butter Chicken Curry recipe is sure to impress your taste buds.
Authentic Butter Chicken Curry
- mixing bowl
- large skillet
- Knife and cutting board
- serving bowl
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breast
- plain yogurt
- lemon juice
- ginger paste
- garlic paste
- ground cumin
- ground coriander
- turmeric powder
- red chili powder
- vegetable oil
- onion, finely chopped
- garam masala
- fresh cilantro
- tomato puree
- In a bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients: yogurt, lemon juice, ginger paste, garlic paste, cumin, coriander, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and coat them evenly. Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes, or refrigerate overnight for deeper flavors.
- In a large skillet or pan, melt the butter and vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the skillet and cook for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the ground cumin, ground coriander, garam masala, turmeric powder, and paprika. Cook for a minute to toast the spices.
- Add the marinated chicken (along with any remaining marinade) to the skillet and cook until the chicken is browned on all sides.
- Pour in the tomato puree and stir well to combine. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Stir in the heavy cream and cook for an additional 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- If desired, add honey or sugar to balance the flavors and add a touch of sweetness. Adjust salt to taste.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve the Butter Chicken Curry hot with steamed rice, naan bread, or roti.