Wors, a traditional South African sausage, is a flavorful and versatile ingredient that can be cooked in various ways. In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the process of cooking wors to perfection and creating a delicious gravy to accompany it. The combination of juicy wors and rich gravy is a match made in heaven and will make for a satisfying and comforting meal. Get ready to savor the flavors of this savory wors with gravy recipe.
Savory Wors with Gravy Recipe
- large skillet
- small saucepan
- wors sausages
- vegetable oil
- all purpose flour
- Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- fresh herbs
- Heat a drizzle of vegetable oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat.Add the wors sausages to the pan and cook them, turning occasionally, until they are browned and cooked through. This typically takes about 15-20 minutes. Remove the wors from the pan and set them aside.
- In the same pan, add the finely chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté them until they become soft and translucent.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and garlic. Stir well to coat the vegetables.Gradually pour the beef or vegetable broth into the pan while stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce to the gravy and season with salt and pepper to taste.Bring the gravy to a simmer and let it cook for about 5 minutes, or until it thickens to your desired consistency.
- Once the gravy is ready, return the cooked wors sausages to the pan and let them simmer in the gravy for a few minutes to absorb the flavors.
- Remove the wors sausages with gravy from the heat and transfer them to a serving platter.
- Optionally, garnish with fresh herbs such as parsley or thyme for added freshness and visual appeal.
- Serve the wors sausages with the savory gravy alongside your favorite sides, such as mashed potatoes, pap, or a side salad.