Nigerian Pound Cake
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 250g all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and fold it into the butter mixture.
- Add the vanilla extract, milk, and lemon zest (if using) to the batter and mix until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Grease a baking pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for a few minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack and let it cool completely before slicing and serving.