Mock turtle soup is a classic dish that replicates the flavors of traditional turtle soup using more accessible ingredients. This flavorful and hearty soup is perfect for those who enjoy rich and savory flavors. With a combination of meat, vegetables, and aromatic spices, mock turtle soup offers a delightful culinary experience. Let’s explore the recipe and learn how to prepare this delicious soup.
Mock Turtle Soup
- large pot
- Cutting board
- Wooden spoon
- measuring cups
- soup bowls
- celery stalks
- beef broth
- bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- fresh parsley
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion, celery, carrots, and minced garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are softened and fragrant.
- Add the ground beef or veal to the pot and cook until browned, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula.
- Pour in the beef broth and water, followed by the diced tomatoes. Stir well to combine.Add the bay leaf, dried thyme, and Worcestershire sauce to the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Once the soup is cooked, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.Remove the bay leaf from the soup and discard.
- Ladle the mock turtle soup into bowls. Garnish with lemon slices and chopped parsley, if desired.
- Serve the soup hot and savor the rich flavors reminiscent of traditional turtle soup.