Alouda is a popular and refreshing beverage from the island nation of Mauritius. This delightful drink is made with a combination of milk, basil seeds, agar agar (a natural thickening agent), and a blend of aromatic ingredients such as rose syrup, cardamom, and vanilla. Alouda is known for its creamy texture, floral flavors, and beautiful layered appearance. In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the steps of making traditional Mauritian Alouda so you can enjoy this tropical treat in the comfort of your own home.
Mauritian Alouda Recipe
- mixing bowl
- serving glass
- long spoon
- basil seeds
- agar agar powder
- rose syrup
- vanilla extract
- crashed ice
- cardamom powder
- additional toppings
- tutti fruiti
- In a blender, combine the milk, basil seeds, agar agar powder, rose syrup, cardamom powder, vanilla extract, and sugar. Blend on low speed for a few seconds until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and whisk or stir vigorously for a minute to ensure the agar agar powder is evenly distributed.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Bring it to a gentle boil while stirring continuously to prevent any lumps from forming. Cook for about 5 minutes until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the mixture cool down to room temperature.Once cooled, cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the mixture to set and develop flavors.
- To serve, place a few spoonfuls of crushed ice in tall glasses.Give the Alouda mixture a good stir to ensure it's well combined and pour it into the glasses over the crushed ice.
- Garnish with your choice of toppings such as chopped nuts, tutti frutti, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Stir gently with a long spoon or straw to mix the flavors and enjoy the chilled Mauritian Alouda.