Kaak Malih is a delicious and popular Middle Eastern bread that is commonly enjoyed as a snack or breakfast item. These bread rings are known for their unique shape and satisfying texture. Kaak Malih can be enjoyed on its own, dipped in tea or coffee, or served alongside savory dishes. In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the process of making homemade Kaak Malih, so you can experience the delightful flavors of this Middle Eastern treat.
Kaak Malih Recipe
- mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- stand mixer
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- pastry brush
- cooling rack
- all purpose flour
- instant yeast
- granulated sugar
- olive oil
- warm water
- sesame seeds
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, instant yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix well.Add the olive oil to the dry ingredients and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add warm water to the mixture while stirring. Continue mixing until a soft and smooth dough forms. You can use a stand mixer or hand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment for easier mixing.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes elastic and no longer sticky.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Let it rest in a warm place for about 1 hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Punch down the dough to release any air bubbles. Divide the dough into equal-sized portions and roll each portion into a long rope shape, about 10-12 inches in length.
- Shape each rope into a ring by joining the ends and pressing them together. Place the rings on the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between them
- Lightly brush the tops of the rings with water and sprinkle sesame seeds or nigella seeds for added flavor and visual appeal.
- Bake the Kaak Malih in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until they turn golden brown.
- Once baked, remove the Kaak Malih from the oven and transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Serve the Kaak Malih as a delicious snack or pair them with your favorite Middle Eastern dips, spreads, or enjoy them with tea or coffee.