Iyan (Pounded Yam)
- Peel the yam and cut it into small chunks.
- Place the yam chunks in a pot and add enough water to cover them.
- Bring the water to a boil and cook the yam until it is soft and tender.
- Remove the cooked yam from the pot and transfer it to a mortar or a sturdy bowl.
- Using a pestle or a sturdy wooden spoon, pound the yam until it becomes smooth and elastic. Add small amounts of water gradually as needed to achieve the desired consistency.
- Knead the pounded yam with your hands to make it more stretchy.
- Shape the pounded yam into balls or serve it as a mound.
- Serve the Iyan (Pounded Yam) with your favorite Nigerian soups or stews.
- Enjoy your delicious Iyan (Pounded Yam)!