Mealie rice, also known as maize rice or mieliepap, is a traditional South African dish made from coarse maize meal. It’s a versatile and comforting staple that can be enjoyed as a side dish or even as a main course when combined with delicious toppings or sauces. In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the steps to cook perfect mealie rice that’s fluffy, flavorful, and pairs well with a variety of dishes. Get ready to savor the taste of this beloved African dish.
Flavorful Mealie Rice Recipe
- sauce pan
- Wooden spoon
- maize meal
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- While the water is heating, mix the maize meal with a small amount of cold water in a separate bowl to form a smooth paste.
- Slowly pour the maize meal mixture into the boiling water, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon or spatula to prevent lumps from forming.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid. Let the mealie rice simmer for approximately 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- After 25-30 minutes, the mealie rice should have thickened and become soft and fluffy. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, if needed.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the mealie rice rest, covered, for a few minutes before serving.