Ethiopian Honey Red Wine is a unique and delicious beverage that combines the rich flavors of red wine with the natural sweetness of honey. This traditional Ethiopian recipe showcases the country’s love for honey and their vibrant wine culture. The combination of red wine, honey, and a blend of aromatic spices creates a warm and comforting drink that is perfect for special occasions or to enjoy with friends and family. In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the steps of making Ethiopian Honey Red Wine so you can experience the delightful flavors of this Ethiopian classic.
Ethiopian Honey Red Wine Recipe
- large pot
- Wooden spoon
- cheese cloth
- large bottles
- red wine
- cinnamon stick
- orange peel
- vanilla extract
- In a large pot, pour the red wine and heat it over low heat until warm. Avoid boiling the wine.Stir in the honey until it completely dissolves into the warm wine.
- Add the cinnamon stick, cloves, orange peel (if using), and vanilla extract (if using) to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Simmer the mixture gently for about 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse.Remove the pot from heat and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, strain the wine mixture through a cheesecloth or fine-mesh strainer to remove any spices or sediment.
- Pour the strained honey red wine into glass bottles or jars with airtight lids.
- Seal the bottles or jars tightly and store them in a cool, dark place for fermentation. Allow the wine to ferment for at least 1-2 weeks, or longer if desired, to develop the desired flavor profile. The longer the fermentation, the stronger and more complex the flavors will become.
- After the fermentation period, the Ethiopian Honey Red Wine is ready to be enjoyed. Serve it chilled or at room temperature.