Indulge in the irresistible flavors of South Africa with this easy Malva Pudding recipe. Malva Pudding is a beloved dessert that showcases the rich culinary heritage of the country. This sweet and sticky treat is known for its moist texture and caramel-like sauce that oozes with every bite. Whether you’re craving a comforting dessert or want to impress guests with a taste of South Africa, this Malva Pudding recipe is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. So, gather your ingredients and get ready to experience the warm and delightful flavors of this classic South African dessert.
- square baking dish
- sauce pan
- oven mitts
- Mixing bowls
- heavy cream
- hot water
- vanilla extract
- white vinegar
- baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a square baking dish or ovenproof dish with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, apricot jam, milk, vinegar, and egg until well combined.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until the batter is smooth and no lumps remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until the pudding is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the pudding is baking, prepare the sauce. In a saucepan, combine the heavy cream, butter, sugar, hot water, and vanilla extract. Heat over medium heat until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Once the pudding is done baking, remove it from the oven and immediately pour the hot sauce over the hot pudding.
- Allow the pudding to stand for a few minutes to soak up the sauce.
- Serve the Malva Pudding warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.