Chicken broccoli bake south Recipe
If you'd like to give the Chicken Broccoli Bake a South African twist, you can incorporate some regional flavors and ingredients into the recipe
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
SOURCE: MY RECIPE JOINT
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large pot of boiling water, blanch the broccoli florets for about 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, minced garlic, dried oregano, dried basil, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish. Season them with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture evenly over the chicken breasts, making sure to coat them completely.
- Arrange the blanched broccoli florets around the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the chicken and broccoli.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve the chicken broccoli bake hot as a main dish. It goes well with rice, pasta, or a side salad. Enjoy your meal!
Here are some suggestions: 1. Spices: Add some South African spices to enhance the flavor. Consider using peri-peri seasoning or ground coriander for a hint of spice and depth. 2. Chutney: South African cuisine often incorporates chutneys. You can mix a few tablespoons of mango or apricot chutney into the mayonnaise mixture for a touch of sweetness and tanginess. 3. Cheese: While cheddar cheese works well in the recipe, you can also try using a local South African cheese, such as Boerenkaas or Karoo Crumble. 4. Fresh herbs: Instead of dried oregano and basil, consider using fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, or parsley. They will add a vibrant, aromatic element to the dish. 5. Side dishes: In South Africa, chicken dishes are often served with traditional sides like pap (maize meal) or samp (dried corn kernels). Consider serving the Chicken Broccoli Bake with one of these sides for an authentic South African meal. 6. Braai (Barbecue) Variation: If you prefer a smoky flavor, you can prepare the chicken and broccoli on the braai (barbecue) instead of baking them. Marinate the chicken in a spicy peri-peri sauce before grilling it alongside the broccoli. Then, assemble the dish with the remaining ingredients and melt the cheese on top using indirect heat on the braai. Remember to adjust the quantities and cooking times accordingly based on your preferences and the specific instructions for the South African variations. Enjoy your South African Chicken Broccoli Bake with these flavorful additions!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!