Prepare to satisfy your sweet cravings with our Classic Boston Cream Cake recipe. This timeless dessert captures the essence of indulgence and elegance. With layers of moist cake, velvety pastry cream filling, and a luscious chocolate ganache, this cake is a true delight for any occasion. Originating from Boston, this cake has earned its place as a beloved American classic. Whether you’re celebrating a special event or simply craving a slice of decadence, our recipe will guide you to create a Boston Cream Cake that will impress and delight with its perfect balance of flavors and textures. Get ready to experience a taste of culinary bliss with every forkful
Boston Cream Cake Recipe
- Two 9-inch round cake pans
- Mixing bowls
- Whisk or electric mixer
- Wire rack
- Serving plate or cake stand
- plastic wrap
- small saucepan
- sharp knife
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- unsalted butter, softened
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk. Begin and end with the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined
- Divide the batter equally between the prepared cake pans. Smooth the tops with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prepare the pastry cream filling, heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat until it just begins to simmer. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks until smooth.
- Slowly pour the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla extract until smooth. Transfer the pastry cream to a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap, ensuring the plastic wrap touches the surface of the cream to prevent a skin from forming. Let it cool completely in the refrigerator.
- Once the cakes and pastry cream are completely cooled, place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread the chilled pastry cream evenly over the top.Place the second cake layer on top of the pastry cream.
- To prepare the chocolate ganache, heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it just begins to simmer. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate. Let it sit for a minute, then stir until smooth and glossy.Pour the chocolate ganache over the top of the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour to allow the ganache to set.Slice and serve the delicious Boston Cream Cake, reveling in the creamy filling, tender cake layers, and rich chocolate ganache.