Purple hull peas are a type of Southern pea that are enjoyed for their nutty flavor and versatility in the kitchen. They are a great source of plant-based protein, fiber, and other nutrients, making them a healthy and delicious addition to any meal. If you’re looking for a simple and tasty way to cook purple hull peas, then this recipe is for you. With just a few basic ingredients and a little bit of time, you can create a flavorful and nutritious side dish that will please the whole family. Keep reading to learn how to cook purple hull peas to perfection.
This recipe for Purple Hull Peas is typically served as a side dish and is a staple of Southern cuisine in the United States. Purple hull peas are a type of legume that are popular in the South and are often used in traditional dishes such as Hoppin’ John or served as a side dish alongside other Southern favorites like fried chicken or barbecue.
Cook Purple Hull Peas
- large pot
- Cutting board
- measuring cup
- purple peas
- chopped onions
- minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Rinse the purple hull peas in a colander and remove any debris or stones.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent
- Add the purple hull peas to the pot and stir to coat them with the onion and garlic mixture.
- Pour in the water or chicken broth and bring to a boil
- Reduce the heat to low and let the peas simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until they are tender.
- Season the peas with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve the purple hull peas as a side dish, or as a base for other dishes, such as stews or salads.