Tea bread is a popular bread in Ghana often served with common breakfast dishes. Tea bread is best enjoyed when freshly removed from the oven whiles hot.
In Ghana, tea bread can be paired with Tombrown, oblayo, ice kenkey and many more.
In this recipe, we are going to give you a step by step guide on how to bake tea bread in Ghana from scratch.
If you want to start a bread-baking business or just try your hands on it, then stay here whiles I take you through.
Ingredients for tea bread
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 sachet of dry action yeast
- 1/2 butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoonful of sugar
- 1/2 of flour for dusting
Steps to prepare tea bread.
- Add and mix salt, flour, sugar, butter and yeast to a mixing bowl.
- Add 1/4 lukewarm water and mix to together using an electric hand mixer or whisker.
- Combined mixture until dough is formed, increase the speed and whisk for 7-10 minutes or until you have a shiny soft dough. (if the dough is too hard, add enough lukewarm water)
- Add some flour in a bowl and roll the dough into a round shape above in a bowl.
- Cover the dough with a kitchen napkin, soaked in warm water and leave the dough in a warm area inside your oven for an hour. (The dough will double in size)
- Dust a clean surface with some flour and place the dough in the middle.
- Knock the wind out of the dough and roll into a round shape.
- Using a knife, divide the dough in two, shape it into an oblong shape
- Line a baking tray with a baking sheet then sprinkle with flour.
- Transfer the oblong-shaped dough to the baking tray.
- Cover with a warm wet napkin. Then place the dough in a warm place for about an hour.
- The dough will double up in size again.
- Preheat your oven to 380*c
- Place the bread in the middle of the oven.
- Add half a cup of water in another baking tray,and place in the bottom of the oven.
- Bake the bread for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or pale beige colour is formed.
- Remove the bread from the oven, cover with and leave it to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with Butter, Jam, Avocados, Hausa Koko, etc.
The water under the baking bread will provide steam in the oven, which helps the dough to cook well within and gives the bread a light crust.