Steam bread, also known as steamed buns or mantou, is a popular staple in many Asian cuisines. This soft and fluffy bread is made by steaming a simple dough mixture, resulting in a light and airy texture. It’s perfect for enjoying on its own or as a side dish to accompany various meals. Follow this easy recipe to make your own homemade steam bread that will surely delight your taste buds.
- mixing bowl
- parchment paper
- dough scraper
- measuring cups
- baking powder
- vegetable oil
- sugar and salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Mix well to evenly distribute the dry ingredients. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the warm water and vegetable oil.
- Stir the mixture with a spoon or spatula until it starts to come together. Once the dough comes together, transfer it onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Place the dough back into the mixing bowl and cover it with a clean kitchen towel. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes to allow the gluten to relax.
- After the resting time, divide the dough into small portions and shape each portion into a round or oval bun. You can make them as big or small as you like.
- Prepare your steamer by bringing water to a boil. Line the steamer with parchment paper or steamer liners to prevent the bread from sticking.
- Place the shaped dough buns onto the prepared steamer, leaving some space between them as they will expand during steaming.
- Steam the bread buns for about 12-15 minutes or until they are cooked through and puffed up.
- Once cooked, remove the steam bread from the steamer and let them cool slightly before serving.