Dombolo is a traditional South African dish that brings comfort and satisfaction to the table. These soft, pillowy dumplings are the perfect accompaniment to hearty stews or can be enjoyed on their own. Made with a simple dough mixture, dombolo is steamed to achieve its delightful texture and flavor. Join us on a culinary journey as we explore the art of cooking dombolo and indulge in its comforting embrace.
Cook Dombolo Recipe
- mixing bowl
- Steamer or large pot
- clean cloth
- Cooking twine
- Spoon or spatula
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- cooking oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar (if using). Mix well to evenly distribute the dry ingredients.
- Gradually add warm water to the dry ingredients while stirring with a spoon or spatula. Continue mixing until a soft and slightly sticky dough forms.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for a few minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.Cover the bowl with a clean cloth or cheesecloth and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes to relax and rise slightly
- Meanwhile, prepare your steamer or large pot with a steaming basket. Fill the pot with enough water, making sure it doesn't touch the steamer basket.
- Grease the steamer or steaming basket with cooking oil to prevent the dombolo from sticking.
- After the resting time, divide the dough into equal-sized portions and shape them into round dumplings. You can make them small or large, depending on your preference.
- Place the shaped dumplings in the greased steamer or steaming basket, leaving some space between them to allow for expansion.
- Cover the steamer or pot with a lid and steam the dombolo over medium heat for about 20-25 minutes, or until they are cooked through and fluffy. Avoid lifting the lid too often to retain steam and ensure even cooking.
- Once cooked, carefully remove the dombolo from the steamer and let them cool slightly before serving.
- Serve the dombolo warm alongside your favorite stews or enjoy them on their own as a delightful snack or meal.