Chicken intestines, also known as “chicken giblets,” can be cooked in various ways in South Africa. One popular method is to grill or fry them for a delicious and crispy dish. Here’s a simple recipe for cooking chicken intestines in South Africa:
How to cook Malana (chicken intestines)
- 500 grams chicken intestines
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
SOURCE: MY RECIPE JOINT
- Clean and prepare the chicken intestines: - Start by rinsing the chicken intestines thoroughly under cold water to remove any impurities. - Trim off any excess fat or membranes from the intestines. - Cut the intestines into smaller, bite-sized pieces.2. Marinate the chicken intestines: - In a bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. - Add the chicken intestines to the bowl and toss them in the marinade until they are well coated. - Let the intestines marinate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse.3. Grill or fry the chicken intestines: - If grilling: Preheat a grill or barbecue to medium-high heat. Thread the marinated chicken intestines onto skewers. - Place the skewers on the grill and cook for about 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally until the intestines are browned and cooked through. - If frying: Heat some oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the marinated chicken intestines and cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are crispy and cooked through.4. Serve: - Once the chicken intestines are cooked, remove them from the grill or frying pan. - Serve hot with lemon wedges on the side for squeezing over the intestines. - You can enjoy the chicken intestines as a snack or as part of a larger meal. They pair well with salads or bread.
Remember to exercise caution when handling raw poultry and ensure that the chicken intestines are cooked thoroughly before consuming. Enjoy your South African-style chicken intestines!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!