South African chicken gizzard refers to the gizzard of a chicken that is commonly consumed in South African cuisine. The gizzard is a muscular organ found in the digestive tract of the chicken, and it plays a role in grinding and breaking down food particles. In South Africa, chicken gizzards are a popular ingredient in various dishes and are appreciated for their unique texture and flavor.
Chicken gizzards are typically cooked before consumption. They can be prepared in several ways, including braising, grilling, frying, or adding them to stews and soups. The gizzards have a slightly chewy texture and a rich, savory taste. They are often marinated or seasoned with spices and herbs to enhance their flavor.
How to cook chicken gizzards South Africa
- 500g chicken gizzards, cleaned and trimmed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- . Clean and trim the chicken gizzards: Remove any excess fat or tough membranes from the chicken gizzards. Rinse them thoroughly under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels.2. Heat vegetable oil in a large pan or pot over medium heat.3. Add the chopped onion to the pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes until it becomes translucent.4. Stir in the minced garlic and sauté for an additional minute.5. Add the chicken gizzards to the pan and cook them until they start to brown on all sides. This will take about 5-7 minutes.6. Add the diced tomato, green and red bell peppers to the pan. Stir everything together.7. Sprinkle the paprika, ground cumin, ground coriander, dried thyme, salt, and pepper over the chicken gizzards and vegetables. Stir well to coat everything with the spices.8. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and let the chicken gizzards simmer for about 1-2 hours until they become tender. Stir occasionally and add a little water if needed to prevent sticking.9. After the cooking time, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.10. Remove from heat and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro or parsley.11. Serve the cooked chicken gizzards as a main dish or as a side with rice, pap, bread, or other accompaniments of your choice.