South African chicken livers refer to chicken livers that are prepared and cooked in the style commonly found in South African cuisine. Chicken livers are a popular ingredient in South Africa and are often enjoyed as a snack or incorporated into various dishes.
In South Africa, chicken livers are typically cooked with a combination of spices and herbs to create a rich and flavorful dish. The spices commonly used include paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and chili flakes, which infuse the livers with a delicious blend of aromas and tastes.
How to cook chicken livers South African way
- 500 grams chicken livers
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (optional, for heat)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
- Clean the chicken livers by removing any connective tissues or greenish parts. Rinse them thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels. Cut any larger livers into bite-sized pieces.2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until softened and lightly browned.3. Add the minced garlic to the pan and sauté for another minute until fragrant.4. Add the chicken livers to the pan, spreading them out in a single layer. Allow them to cook undisturbed for a couple of minutes to develop a nice sear.5. Sprinkle the paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric, thyme, oregano, and chili flakes (if using) over the chicken livers. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir well to coat the livers evenly with the spices.6. Continue cooking the chicken livers for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are cooked through but still slightly pink in the center. Be careful not to overcook them, as they can become dry and tough.7. Once cooked, remove the pan from the heat. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.8. Serve the South African-style chicken livers hot, garnished with chopped cilantro or parsley. Accompany them with lemon wedges on the side, which can be squeezed over the livers for a tangy flavor.9. Chicken livers can be enjoyed as a standalone snack or served with rice, bread, or pap (a traditional South African porridge made from maize meal) for a more substantial meal.Enjoy the rich and flavorful South African chicken livers!