Yam Porridge is a comforting and hearty West African dish that features chunks of yam cooked in a flavorful tomato-based sauce. This recipe brings together the natural sweetness of yam with aromatic spices, vegetables, and protein for a satisfying and nutritious meal. Whether enjoyed as a standalone dish or paired with your favorite protein, Yam Porridge is a delicious way to savor the flavors of West African cuisine.
- large pot
- Wooden spoon
- bell pepper
- chili powder
- vegetable broth
- spinach leaves
- Heat the palm oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant.
- Add the diced red bell pepper and tomato to the pot. Stir and cook for a few minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Sprinkle in the ground crayfish (if using), dried thyme, smoked paprika, and chili powder. Stir well to coat the vegetables with the spices.
- Add the yam chunks to the pot and pour in the vegetable or chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir gently to combine all the ingredients.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let the yam cook over medium-low heat for about 20-25 minutes, or until the yam is tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- Once the yam is cooked, add the chopped spinach leaves to the pot. Stir and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the spinach wilts.
- Taste the Yam Porridge and adjust the seasoning if needed.Remove the pot from the heat and let the flavors meld together for a few minutes.
- Serve the Yam Porridge hot, garnished with fresh cilantro or parsley, if desired.