Yam Porridge is a comforting and hearty West African dish that features chunks of yam cooked in a flavorful tomato-based sauce. This recipe brings together the natural sweetness of yam with aromatic spices, vegetables, and protein for a satisfying and nutritious meal. Whether enjoyed as a standalone dish or paired with your favorite protein, Yam Porridge is a delicious way to savor the flavors of West African cuisine.
Yam Porridge is a delightful and nourishing dish that combines tender yam chunks with a rich and flavorful tomato-based sauce. The yam absorbs the savory flavors of the sauce, creating a satisfying and comforting texture. With the addition of vegetables and protein, this dish becomes a well-rounded meal that is perfect for any occasion. Prepare to indulge in the flavors of West Africa with this delicious Yam Porridge recipe.
- large pot
- Wooden spoon
- bell pepper
- chili powder
- vegetable broth
- spinach leaves
- Heat the palm oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant.
- Add the diced red bell pepper and tomato to the pot. Stir and cook for a few minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Sprinkle in the ground crayfish (if using), dried thyme, smoked paprika, and chili powder. Stir well to coat the vegetables with the spices.
- Add the yam chunks to the pot and pour in the vegetable or chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir gently to combine all the ingredients.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let the yam cook over medium-low heat for about 20-25 minutes, or until the yam is tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- Once the yam is cooked, add the chopped spinach leaves to the pot. Stir and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the spinach wilts.
- Taste the Yam Porridge and adjust the seasoning if needed.Remove the pot from the heat and let the flavors meld together for a few minutes.
- Serve the Yam Porridge hot, garnished with fresh cilantro or parsley, if desired.
You can customize the Yam Porridge by adding other vegetables like diced carrots or green beans. For added protein, you can include cooked meat, fish, or shrimp in the dish. Leftover Yam Porridge can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving. Indulge in the comforting flavors of West Africa with this delightful Yam Porridge recipe that celebrates the rich culinary heritage of the region.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!