How to make Fried Yam Balls
Yam balls is a popular Ghanaian delicacy. It is very tasty especially when stuffed with vegetables and meat. Yam balls can also be made with potatoes.
There is nothing more exciting than waking up to prepare yam balls. It has this soft and nutritious inner filling and I believe this is what you need for launch.
Here is a detailed recipe, let’s start cooking.
In this tutorial, I am going to show you:
- The ingredients for yam balls preparation.
- How to prepare yam balls
- Tips for preparing yam balls in Ghana.
Tips for yam balls preparation.
- Use any vegetables or fish pieces of choice.
- You can coat balls with bread crumbs
Ingredients for yam balls
- 1 tuber of Uncooked Yam
- Corned beef(Meat pieces)
- 1 1/2 Onions
- Scotch bonnet/chili pepper
- Ginger(if preferred)
- 2 Eggs
- 3 teaspoons Butter/Margerine(if preferred)
- Chopped Green bell pepper
- Cooking oil
- Seasoning cubes
Steps for yam balls preparation.
Follow the instructions given below to prepare a sumptuous yam or potato balls in Ghana.
- Peel and cut yam into pieces. Wash them to remove dirt and pour into a saucepan with water and add salt to taste.
- Under high heat, boil yam for 10-15 minutes until soft. Remove from fire, drain water and allow it to cool.
- Wash, cut onions, pepper and ginger into pieces then blend with little water for a thicker consistency.
- In a large bowl, mash yam until smooth(No lumps). Add blended ingredients to mashed yam and stir.
- Separate egg yolk from white egg. Add eggs yolk, corned beef, chopped green bell pepper, seasoning cube, butter and salt to mashed yam. Mix them together then using your hands, form balls
- Heat oil for deep frying under medium heat until hot.
- In 2 small bowls, pour your egg white and flour in each. First, dip the yam balls in the egg white ( cover all sides in egg white). Then dip in flour (cover all sides with flour)
- Deep fry yam balls until golden. Remove from oil into a colander to drain.
- Serve it hot with ketchup or pepper sauce. Enjoy.