South African Turkey Stew is a flavorful and comforting dish that combines tender turkey meat with aromatic spices and hearty vegetables. This recipe offers a unique twist on the classic stew, infusing it with South African flavors and creating a rich and satisfying meal. The tender turkey meat, simmered in a fragrant tomato-based broth, is enhanced with a blend of spices that add depth and warmth to the dish. With the addition of vegetables like carrots, potatoes, and onions, this stew becomes a wholesome and nourishing meal that the whole family will love.
South African Turkey Stew
- large pot
- Cutting board
- Wooden spoon
- measuring cups
- serving bowls
- turkey meat
- vegetable broth
- curry powder
- ground cumin
- chili powder
- salt and pepper
- fresh cilantro
- cooking oil
- Heat a drizzle of cooking oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion is translucent and fragrant.Add the turkey meat to the pot and cook until browned on all sides.
- Add the carrots and potatoes to the pot, followed by the diced tomatoes and chicken or vegetable broth. Stir well to combine.
- Add the curry powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, and chili powder to the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir everything together until well combined.
- Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the turkey is tender and the vegetables are cooked through. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Once the stew is cooked, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the South African Turkey Stew hot, garnished with fresh cilantro or parsley. It pairs well with steamed rice, mashed potatoes, or crusty bread.