Sure! Here’s a recipe for South African dumplings that use baking powder.
South African Dumpling Recipe With Baking Powder
Traditional South African dumplings, often referred to as "Afrikaner dumplings" or "boerewors dumplings," typically consist of a mixture of flour, salt, and water. These dumplings are typically steamed or simmered in a stew or potjie (a traditional South African cast-iron pot) to absorb the flavors of the dish.
- - 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk (adjust as needed)
SOURCE: MY RECIPE JOINT
- 1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.2. Add the softened butter to the dry ingredients. Use your fingers or a pastry cutter to rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.3. Gradually pour in the milk while stirring the mixture. Start with 3/4 cup of milk and add more if needed to form a soft, sticky dough. The consistency should be similar to drop biscuit dough.4. Pinch off small portions of the dough and roll them into small balls or elongated shapes, about the size of a golf ball.5. Bring a pot of salted water or stew to a gentle boil.6. Drop the dumplings into the boiling water or stew and let them cook for about 10-15 minutes on medium heat or until they are cooked through. They will float to the surface when done.7. Once cooked, remove the dumplings from the pot using a slotted spoon and serve them alongside the stew or dish of your choice.
Remember that traditional South African dumplings without baking powder may have a denser texture compared to dumplings made with baking powder. The choice between using baking powder or not ultimately depends on personal preference and the desired texture of the dumplings. South African dumplings are often served as a side dish with stews, curries, or other hearty dishes. They are delicious when served hot and can be enjoyed with gravy or as a complement to the main meal. Please note that this recipe is a basic guideline, and you can add herbs, spices, or other flavorings to customize the dumplings to your preference.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!