How to prepare Sobolo Drink.
Bissap drink( Sobolo) is a known drink in Ghana and West Africa at large.
Due to its nutritious benefits and its great taste, it is preferred at most occasions and events such as weddings, festivals, etc.
Sobolo is prepared with Hibiscus leaf and flavoured with fruits. Here are some simple and easy steps to prepare this nutritious drink at home to enjoy
- You can use the cooked Hisbicus leaves for two or three times before discard.
- Sobolo drinks can be flavoured with any fruits of choice: pineapple, prekese, etc. Just be creative
Benefits of drinking Bissap/Sobolo Drink
- Bissap drink fights against fever and nausea.
- It helps in digestion and eases stomach upset.
- Studies have revealed that drinking Hibiscus tea lowers blood pressure in a group of pre-hypertensive and mildly hypertensive adults.
Ingredients for preparing sobolo
- 2 cups of Hibiscus leaves
- 1 medium-sized riped Pineapple( if you prefer pineapple flavor)
- 2 teaspoons of Pineapple syrup(if preferred)
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- Ginger (quantity of choice)
- 3 or 4 grains of Hwentia (also known as Negro pepper).
- prekese (optional)
Steps to prepare sobolo.
- In a large saucepan, pour in Hisbicus leaves and add water to cover up leaves.
- Under high heat, put Hisbicus leaves on fire.
- Wash and peel pineapples and ginger.
- Add the pineapple peels and hwentia to Hisbicus leaves. Allow it to boil for 10-15 mins(Until water changes color)
- Using a sieve or colander, drain and separate the drink from the cooked leaves and peels.sobolo preparation steps
- Blend pineapple and ginger until smooth. Pour into the sobolo drink and stir
- Allow the drink to cool down completely before you add your sugar and pineapple syrup(if preferred)
- Store in fridge before use or add ice to sobolo drink. Enjoy!!!
Common questions Answered.
What is the main ingredients for sobolo?
Hibiscus flower/leaves are mainly used to prepare bissap drink or sobolo
Can you add prekese to sobolo?
Depending on the flavor you want, prekese can be added to sobolo. Prekese has a lot of health benefits as well.
Is sobolo good for the immune system?
Sobolo is rich in irons and minerals that helps to boost the human immune system.
Other recipes to try.