Shorshe maach is a Bengali delicacy made with fish, curry and some other spices. It is prepared not only during special occasions, but also frequently in Bengali households. It is easy to make and delicious.
Fish is a good source of proteins, vitamin B12 and calcium. Tumeric is also known to enhance heart health and fight cancer. Mustard also contains omega-3 fatty acids which help to reduce risk of heart attack.
So, imagine all the benefits you will derive from eating shorshe mach, apart from enjoying it.
Well, in this article we bring you a simple shorshe maach recipe you can make in your free time.
3 tablespoons of mustard oil
1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
½ teaspoon of kalonji
4 green chilli (halved)
3 tablespoons of mustard powder
8 pieces of fish
Salt (to taste)
What Shorshe Maach Can Be Served With
Shorshe maach can be served with rice and shaak bhaja (Bengali style)
- Season fish with turmeric powder and salt.
- Soak mustard powder in ½ cup of water and a pinch of salt for about 10 minutes and stir.
- Heat some oil in a deep pan and fry the fish in it.
- When the fish is done frying, remove from the oil into a dish.
- Add the kalonji to the oil and fry for about 20 seconds.
- Add the mustard paste and ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and let it cook for 3 minutes.
- Next, add one cup of water. Add salt and your green chilli cut into halves.
- Gently drop the fried fish into the sauce and some more salt as you prefer.
- Cover the pan and allow the meal to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat when it is ready and serve.