Homemade Salt Water Taffy
Salt water taffy has been popular since the 1880’s in shops across Atlantic City, New Jersey. Though it has the name salt water taffy, this soft chewy candy does not have any salt water in it, neither does it taste like sea water. Salt water taffy comes in variety of flavors which allows you to make a choice ideally with the taste. Flavors like chocolate, cinnamon, black licorice, Neapolitan, orange/vanilla, peppermint, huckleberry and pear. These candies are packaged sold in large shops and children especially love it.
Salt Water Taffy
- Whisk / mixing rod / wooden churner
- oven source of heat
- 1 Plate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water 120 ml
- 1 teaspoon flavored extract of your choice
- 2 drops Yellow, red and blue food coloring of your choice
- Add the sugar to a large pot. Pour in the cornstarch and whisk into the sugar until well combined. Add the butter, corn syrup, salt, water, vanilla, and the flavor extract of you choice to the pot.whisk to combine ,then turn the heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes
- Add the food coloring and stir to combine
- Set aside you flat plate and apply a small amount of butter in the plate, pour the candy and allow it to cool for 20- 30 minutes
- Stretch the mixture out some few inches and fold it over itself again and again for 15 minutes. The taffy will turn from translucent to opaque
- When the taffy becomes harder to pull, roll it and cut in half. then slice the taffy into bite size chunk
- Wrap each taffy in a square of candy paper or rubber and twist the ends to seal.
- Your salt water taffy is ready. Enjoy
Salt water taffy can be made at home just as good as New Jersey’s with our amazing recipe.