Kelewele is a popular dessert in Ghana that is mostly sold at night. It is best served with peanuts/groundnut.
In this post, I am going to give you:
• a step by step guide to prepare kelewele in Ghana (Kelewele Recipe)
• and many more.
Do you need an appetizer for your events or get-together? Then try this.
Ghana can boast of a wide selection of fried plantain recipes from simple roasted plantain to mouth-watering kelewele.
The Kelewele recipe is also available in most West African Countries. In Cameroon, it is called alloco.
Kelewele is mostly sold during the night at street corners and has become one of the most sought-after night foods in the Ghanaian culture.
kelewele with groundnutSpicy Kelewele with groundnut
This spicy fried plantain recipe is easy to make. Ripe or overly ripe plantains are cut into pieces, mixed with spices and deep-fried in red oil until ready.
• 4 ripe plantains
• 2 pieces onion
• 1 teaspoon Cayenne or chili pepper
• 1 tablespoon grated ginger
• 1 garlic clove(optional)
• 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg(optional)
• Salt to taste
• 1 Maggie cube (optional)
• Vegetable oil
Steps to prepare Kelewele
• Using a sharp knife, peel the riped plantains (You can cut both ends off the plantain.This will make it easy to remove the skin of the plantains)
• Cut plantains in diagonal pieces or medium chunks. Set it aside.
• Blend onions, ginger, garlic and chilli pepper in blender or food processor. Add water to the ingredients(Make sure to obtain a thicker consistent mixture)
• Pour blender mixture in a bowl and add grated nutmeg, salt and cube. Set aside
• In a large bowl mix the plantain pieces and the blended mixture together.
• Let it rest for about 10 to 20 minutes to absorb the flavor.
• Heat up a large pan with oil for deep frying under medium-high heat until hot.
• Fry the plantain pieces, until golden brown. (Do not overcrowd the pan, it will cause the plantains to be soggy and absorb excess oil)
• Remove and transfer the fried plantains unto a sieve or tissue paper for drainage of oil.
• Serve warm with groundnuts or Cooked rice.
What to serve kelewele with.
It is mostly served with groundnuts or beans stew. While others prefer it as a dessert, it can also be served with plain rice, jollof rice and waakye as an appetizer.
Other Recipes to try.
How to prepare kontomire stew
How to prepare asaana
How to prepare fried rice in Ghana