Pounded yam and Egusi soup is a local delicacy of the western part of Nigeria (the Yorubas).
Pounded yam is made with tuber of raw yams which is boiled, mashed and rolled to form a ball. Egusi soup soup is made with ground melon seed thickened with gourd or spinach.
Utensils needed for Pounded Yam and Egusi Soup
2. Chopping board
3. Large pot
5. Kitchen towel
6. Mortal and Pestle
7. Hand mixer
Ingredients for Pounded Yam and Egusi Soup
• 1 tuber of Yam
• Yam flour
• 1 lb(s) boneless chicken, cut in bite-size pieces
• 1 1/2 medium sliced onions
• 2 maggi/bouillion cubes
• 2 fresh chile peppers
• 2 cup melon seed (egushi)
• 340g frozen spinach, thawed
• 1/2 cup palm oil
• 1 cup vegetable oil
• dried fish and salt to taste
• dried shrimp and crayfish to taste
pounded yam recipe
Steps for pounded yam recipe
1. You can make this recipe using 4 methods:
2. Method 1(Using Mortar and Pestle)
3. Peel the yam with a sharp knife. Remove any spoiled spots or discoloration.
4. Chop into large chunks and immediately pour into water and wash ever dirt off
5. Pour yams in a medium pot under high heat with water- enough to cover the yams. Add salt to taste, if desired.
6. Boil until tender for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately drain yams thoroughly in a colander.
7. Wash your mortar and pestle until clean. Add cooked yam to mortar and pound until smooth and stretchy. Add little water when necessary during pounding.
8. Roll into balls and wrap in a plastic wrap or serve immediately in bowl with soup
Method 2 (Using blender)
1. Cut yam into smaller pieces then boil untill soft for about 20 minutes.
2. Add cooked yams into food processor or blender. Start blending then pulse every 20-30 seconds to check for smoothness.
3. Add about 2 tablespoons as needed until stretchy and soft
4. Shape into any desired size
Method 3( Using Hand mixer)
1. Boil the yam till it’s soft.
2. Pour it into the mixing bowl then with the hand mixer, crush the yam until it becomes smooth, stretchy and lump free.
Method 4( Using yam flour)
1. Heat up water in a large saucepan under medium heat
2. Mix flour in small amount of water until you have a thicker consistency
3. Pour batter in the boiling water then stir continuously to avoid it from being lumpy
4. Knead it with a wooden spatula as it thickens. Allow it to cook for 10 minutes. Roll into balls and serve with favourite soup
Steps for making Egusi Soup
1. Put chicken pieces in a medium pot. Rinse the dried fish and add it to the pot.
2. Add 1 onion, salt to taste and 2 maggi cubes.
3. Add 1 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil on high heat for 25 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 min.
4. Blend chile peppers and the remaining onion in a blender and puree. Pour onion pepper mixture into a bowl and set aside.
5. Put shrimp, crayfish and melon seed in a clean blender and pulse until a powder forms. Pour it in a bowl and set aside.
6. Squeeze the excess liquid from the spinach and set aside.
7. Continue to cook until the chicken is tender. Stir in blended onion pepper mixture and cook 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the melon seed mixture.
8. Cook 20 minutes longer and add the spinach, oils and the 1 remaining maggi cube
9. Cover it and cook for another 5 minutes.
Peel away from your body when cutting yam or vegetables to avoid injury