Pounded yam and Egusi soup is a local delicacy of the western part of Nigeria (the Yorubas).
Pounded yam is made with tuber of raw yams which is boiled, mashed and rolled to form a ball. Egusi soup soup is made with ground melon seed thickened with gourd or spinach.
Utensils needed for Pounded Yam and Egusi Soup
- Chopping board
- Large pot
- Kitchen towel
- Mortal and Pestle
- Hand mixer
Ingredients for Pounded Yam and Egusi Soup
- 1 tuber of Yam
- Yam flour
- 1 lb(s) boneless chicken, cut in bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 medium sliced onions
- 2 maggi/bouillion cubes
- 2 fresh chile peppers
- 2 cup melon seed (egushi)
- 340g frozen spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup palm oil
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- dried fish and salt to taste
- dried shrimp and crayfish to taste
Steps for pounded yam recipe
- You can make this recipe using 4 methods:
- Method 1(Using Mortar and Pestle)
- Peel the yam with a sharp knife. Remove any spoiled spots or discoloration.
- Chop into large chunks and immediately pour into water and wash ever dirt off
- Pour yams in a medium pot under high heat with water- enough to cover the yams. Add salt to taste, if desired.
- Boil until tender for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately drain yams thoroughly in a colander.
- Wash your mortar and pestle until clean. Add cooked yam to mortar and pound until smooth and stretchy. Add little water when necessary during pounding.
- Roll into balls and wrap in a plastic wrap or serve immediately in bowl with soup
Method 2 (Using blender)
- Cut yam into smaller pieces then boil untill soft for about 20 minutes.
- Add cooked yams into food processor or blender. Start blending then pulse every 20-30 seconds to check for smoothness.
- Add about 2 tablespoons as needed until stretchy and soft
- Shape into any desired size
Method 3( Using Hand mixer)
- Boil the yam till it’s soft.
- Pour it into the mixing bowl then with the hand mixer, crush the yam until it becomes smooth, stretchy and lump free.
Method 4( Using yam flour)
- Heat up water in a large saucepan under medium heat
- Mix flour in small amount of water until you have a thicker consistency
- Pour batter in the boiling water then stir continuously to avoid it from being lumpy
- Knead it with a wooden spatula as it thickens. Allow it to cook for 10 minutes. Roll into balls and serve with favourite soup
Steps for making Egusi Soup
- Put chicken pieces in a medium pot. Rinse the dried fish and add it to the pot.
- Add 1 onion, salt to taste and 2 maggi cubes.
- Add 1 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil on high heat for 25 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 min.
- Blend chile peppers and the remaining onion in a blender and puree. Pour onion pepper mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- Put shrimp, crayfish and melon seed in a clean blender and pulse until a powder forms. Pour it in a bowl and set aside.
- Squeeze the excess liquid from the spinach and set aside.
- Continue to cook until the chicken is tender. Stir in blended onion pepper mixture and cook 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the melon seed mixture.
- Cook 20 minutes longer and add the spinach, oils and the 1 remaining maggi cube
- Cover it and cook for another 5 minutes.
Peel away from your body when cutting yam or vegetables to avoid injury