Mpotompoto (yam porridge) is a popular local Ghanaian food which is mainly prepared with yam, cocoyam or potatoes.
It is also called nuhu, nyoma, yam porridge or cocoyam dish.
I am going to give you all the steps you need to make a delicious mpotompoto in Ghana and where ever you are in the world.
It is easy to prepare and nutritious. Aside weanimix, mpotompoto is also a recommended meal for children.
Ingredients for mpotompoto
Let’s have a look at what you will need to make a delicious mpotompoto.
- If you want your mpotompoto to be very thick, reduce the amount of water you use.
- Do not mash all the yam pieces.
Delicious Mpotompoto Recipe.
- chopping board
- Earthenware bowl
- Yam or cocoyam
- Small tomatoes
- Medium sized onion
- Palm oil
- Garlic cloves
- Seasoning (maggi or onga cube)
- Ginger optional
- Cut yam tuber into about 4 parts. Place it on a cuttin board and peel the skin of.
- Chop peeled yam into small sizes.
- Pour chopped yam into a container filled with water.
- Rinse yam thoroughly to ensure there is not dirt. It is recommended you repeat this step twice.
- Transfer rinsed yam into a clean cooking pot and fill it with a reasonable amount of water.
- Place it on high heat.
- Add tomatoes, onions and pepper to the yam.
- Cover it and allow it to boil.
- Transfer fish into a clean bowl and add water to soften it.
- Remove the tomatoes, onions, garlic and ginger from the boiling pan and transfer them into a blender.
- Blend mixture until smooth.
- Pour blended mixture into the boiling yam.
- Increase the heat to facilitate boiling
- Add fish.
- Add salt to taste.
- Using a spatula, mash the yam against the sides of the cooking pot to get a porridge consistency. You can also transfer some of the cooked yam into an earthenware bowl and mash. After that you transfer it back into the mixture. Do not mash all of them.
- Add seasoning
- Add palm oil.
- Allow it to boil for about 7 – 10 minutes.
- Off the fire and serve whiles hot.
- Mpotompoto is a one pot meal. It can be enjoyed at anytime of the day.
Other recipes to try.
Frequently asked questions about Mpotompoto.
How do you make Cocoyam with Mpotompoto?
Just replace the yam with cocoyam and follow all the other instructions to get a delicious mpotompoto done.
What is yam porridge?
It is called mpotompoto in Ghana.
What is the difference between yam porridge and yam pottage?
Both means the same and can be used interchangeably. Yam porridge and yam pottage terms are used by Nigerians mostly.
One thought on “How to Prepare Mpotompoto (Yam Porridge)”
Seems you used my pictures for this recipe without my permission