Nigerian Moi Moi also known as Moin Moin is a great, delicious and amazing steamed bean pudding.
It is a traditional meal eaten in Nigeria. It is made with steamed ground beans and enriched with spices, onions and peppers.
It is mostly wrapped in aluminium foil or Uma Leaves or eaten in plastic bowls. Moi Moi is commonly seen accompanying Jollof Rice, Fried Rice, Fried Plantain, Custard or taken as snack as well etc.
Utensils needed to prepare moi moi
- Large Deep Pot
- Wooden/Plastic Spatula
- Chopping board
- Blender/ Food processor
- Chef Knife
- Improving your heart rate
- It’s an antioxidant
- Helps reduce cancer risk.
- Source of energy/ folates
- Helps with easy bowel movements
Ingredients for moin moin recipe
- 500g Brown/ Black eyed beans
- 3 bouillon/stock cubes
- 1 seedless habanero/ scotch bonnet pepper
- 3 tablespoons ground crayfish
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 seedless tatashe peppers(Red bell pepper)
- 2 teaspoons tomato puree/pasta
- 2 large sliced onions
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup cool or warm water
- Eggs/cooked minced meat/corned beef( Any one preferred)
- In a large bowl, soak beans in water for 20 minutes, this will help the skin to be soften. Then place the beans in a food processor or blender, with enough water to cover it.
- Cover and pulse the blender about a minute for 6 times until it breaks the beans up and separates the skins of the beans from the beans.
- Pour the skinned beans in a bowl.Then wash several times to separate the beans from the skin. When the skins are removed, they will float on top of the water, drain them with the water.
- Soak the skinless beans in water for at least 4 hours or over night.
- After 4 hours or more, drain the water from beans and rinse them with clean water.
- Pour beans into the blender and blend with 1 cup of water, bell pepper, scotch bonnet peppers, onions and bouillon.
- Pour blended beans mixture into a medium bowl, stir in the oil, corned beef if using and salt. Then add the warm/ cold to thin out the mixture until the texture is light like a cake batter. Adjust salt to taste
- In a deep pot with a fitted cover, pour water about 1 inch deep into pot under medium heat.
- Using aluminium foil, cut a large square size and fold the bottom and end sides to make a pocket. Scoop one ladle of moi Moi into pocket. Repeat process for about 4 aluminium foil.
- Twist the opening after you fill each aluminium foil pocket then place it in the boiling water. Cover the pot, and allow it to steam on low heat for 50 minutes.After 50 minutes, check the Moi moi.
- Just like a cake, a toothpick inserted into the middle of it should come out clean. If it doesn’t allow it to continue steaming for another 10 minutes.
- Allow the Moi moi to sit for 5 minutes then serve warm.
Moi Moi Full Video
- Red bell pepper/tomato puree is add to colour and give a nice flavour to the baked Moin-Moin.
- You can also use beans flour to prepare this.
- Use tasteless and odourless vegetable oils like the vegetable oils and sunflower oil to give you a delicious taste. Do not use olive oil.