How to make Melon Seed Soup ( “Werewere Soup”)
Have you tasted this soup before? If not, then try it.
Health Benefits of Melon Seeds
- It contains Magnesium which helps regulate muscle and nerve function, has a hand in protein synthesis, and regulates blood sugar levels.
- It contains Vitamins which helps in the formation of blood cells and bone marrow, conversion of carbohydrates to give you energy, and preventing birth defects.
Delicious Melon Seed Soup ( “Werewere Soup”)
Melon Seed Soup delicious and a great substitute of Groundnut Soup. Your evening meal just got excited!!!
- 1 cup melon seed( werewere)
- Dry fish
- Smoked mackerel( if preferred)
- Assorted Meat
- 2 onions
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 2 hot peppers
- 2 clove of garlic
- Ginger(quantity of choice)
- Seasoning powder or cube
- Roast melon seed(werewere) in a pan under medium heat for 8-10mins
- Pour cooked seed into blender,add enough water then blend until it’s smooth
- Use a colander or sieve to strain it to separate the juice from the shells into a saucepan
- Boil and cook the juice under medium heat for 6 min. Set aside
- Wash and cut 1onion, garlic, pepper and ginger then blend
- In a separate saucepan, add meat and season with salt, seasoning cubes then add blended ingredients.
- Steam meat for 10mins then add tomatoes and 1 onion
- Pour in cooked melon juice(werewere) extract and boil for 5-10mins
- Take tomatoes and onion out when soft and blend.
- Add it to soup
- Wash and add your dry fish and smoked mackerel (if preferred), add salt to taste and allow soup to boil for 15mins
- When you notice oil forming on top, it indicates soup is ready.
- Serve with Fufu or Rice. Enjoy!!!
- When you hear a popping sound when roasting melon seed(werewere), it indicates that it is cooked or take one seed and break it. A lightly brown color on the inside indicates that its cooked.
- You can add more water to the shells to blend again until no shells are left.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!