Lau chingri is a Bengali dish prepared by cooking bottle gourd with prawns along with tomato, sugar and some spices. The word “Lau” means bottle gourd and “Chingri” means prawn.
The bottle gourd has a benefit of reducing the risk of urinary tract infection and also helps with weight loss.
Prawns are also low in fat and calories but rich in proteins and selenium.
Today, we bring you a simple guide to preparing lau chingri. Enjoy!
1 small bottle of gourd
250 grams of shrimps
½ inch of ginger
½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon of cumin powder
1 bay leaf
Sugar (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
What Lau Chingri Can Be Served With
Lau Chingri can be served with steamed rice
- Peel the bottle gourd and cut off both ends. cut into circles and cut them into two again. Wash and set aside.
- Remove the prawn skin , wash and season shrimps with salt and turmeric powder and set aside for about 10 minutes and fry them for 2 minutes in mustard oil.
- Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, tomato and grated ginger to it and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add the gourd, cumin, salt, sugar, turmeric powder and green chillies.
- Cover and cook on low heat until the gourd is drained of all its water and cooked.
- Toss in the shrimps and let it cook for about 5 minutes. Turn off the fire after it’s done and serve.