Okro stew is a popular stew which can be mostly paired with banku or akple.
The main ingredients used in okro stew is okra or okro. Other cooks prefer to add ayoyo.
You can check our recipe on ayoyo soup HERE.
In this post we at My Recipe Joint are going to give you complete step by step guide on how to prepare okro stew.
It is simple and straightforward.
You can use any source of protein to prepare your okro stew. Okro stew in Ghana is mostly prepared with these sources of protein.
- Dry fish
- Goat meat
Ingredients for okro stew
Okro Stew Recipe. Delicious Recipe
- 7 pieces Okro
- 2 pieces large onions
- 200 mls red palm oil
- 2 pieces medium-sized onions
- tomato paste
- 4 pieces bell pepper (kpakposhito)
- 1 pound goat meat/chicken/herrings/crab/tuna/salmon
- 1 pound wele
- 200 mls water
- Wash meat and wele thoroughly and placed in a neat bowl
- Chop meat into desirable sizes and place in a cooking pot or saucepan
- Add little amount of water, place over medium heat and allow it to boil
- Chop onions, ginger and garlic.
- Blend chopped vegetables and pepper together until a smooth mixture is obtained.
- Set some of the blended mixture aside
- Pour the blended mixture into the meat pot and allow it to steam for 10 minutes
- Add some spices
- Wash okro and chop into smaller pieces.
- Put chopped okro into a clean saucepan, add water and simmer for about 6 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow it to cool
- Pour some palm oil into a saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Add sliced onion and salted fish
- Cook for about 4 minutes
- Add blended pepper, ginger and garlic and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Wash tomatoes, chop and add to the sauce
- Now add your steamed beef, boiled crab and wele to the mixture.
- Stir and leave it to cook for about 10 minutes.
- Pour into the mixture your cooked okro and stir thoroughly
- Add salt to taste.
What to serve okro stew with