In this post, I am going to show you:
- the ingredients needed for okro stew preparation.
- How to make okro stew with ease
- and a lot more.
Okro stew is a rich source of dietary fibre, minerals, and vitamins and a low-calorie vegetable. It is known in most West African Countries as Okro, and the French-speaking countries as gumbo.
In Yoruba(Nigeria), it is referred to as obella. While in the U.S it is referred to as okra. So okra and okra is pretty much the same thing.
Healthy Benefits of Okro
It prevents constipation
It prevents anaemia
It improves heart health
It improves eyesight
Ingredients for okro stew
- Meat or Fish(any of preference)
- Crabs( if preferred)
- ademe (optional)
- Cowhide(Wele) (if preferred)
- 15 Okro pieces
- ayoyo (optional)
- fresh tilapia (optional)
- 5 Garden eggs
- 3 Onion
- 3 medium fresh tomatoes
- Palm oil
- Pepper(quantity of choice)
- Garlic and ginger
- Salt and seasoning to taste
Steps to prepare okro stew.
- Blend onion, pepper, garlic and ginger
- Cut, wash cowhide and meat(if preferred) into pieces
- Put them into a saucepan and season then add blended ingredients
- Place on fire for some minutes until meat and cowhide are soft and tender
- Wash okro, garden eggs, tomatoes and onion
- Slice and cut okro, garden eggs, tomatoes and onion into pieces.
- Cook sliced ingredients for 7mins until soft
- Heat Palm oil then add tomatoes
- Add steamed meat, cowhide with broth or fish and crabs then allow it to boil for 5mins
- Add cooked okro, garden eggs and onion
- Add season and salt to taste
- Stir to avoid burning. Add water depending on thickness(if preferred)
- Leave it to simmer for about 10minutes.
- Serve Okro stew with Banku, Eba or any food of choice. Enjoy!!!
Okro stew can be served with banku, gari, akple and other preferred main dishes.