Ampesi is a main meal in Ghana commonly served with garden eggs stew or kontomire stew.
It is rich in carbohydrates and other nutrients and also makes a perfect dinner.
Ampesi can be prepared by using unripped plantain, cassava, yam or cocoyam.
The choice is yours.
In this post, I am going to show you:
A step by step guide on
- how to prepare ampesi in Ghana (full ampesi recipe)
- With kontomire stew
- And a lot more tips
Ingredients to prepare Ampesi and Kontomire stew.
Ingredients for the Ampesi.
- 1 or 2 tubers of yam
- 3 pieces of unripe plantain (also called apim)
Ingredients for the kontomire stew.
- 10 pieces of kontomire (cocoyam) leaves
- 4 pieces of tomato
- ¼ cup turkey berries (optional)
- 3 medium-sized onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 pound of smoked fish
- 1 cup of palm oil
- 2 teaspoons of grounded shrimp
- Salted fish (Koobi)
Steps to prepare Ampesi in Ghana.
- Peel yam, cocoyam into a cooking pot.
- Wash them thoroughly and put into another cooking pot.
- Half fill the cooking pot with water
- Peel your unripe plantain, wash them and arrange them on top of the yam and cocoyam
- Add reasonable amount of salt
- Boil over high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Pour out the water and set aside
- The ampesi is ready
The main meal is ready.
Let’s move on to preparation of the stew.
How to prepare kontomire stew for Ampesi.
- Wash kontomire and turkey berries thoroughly and put into a clean saucepan
- Boil under medium heat until it softens
- Blend onions, garlic, tomatoes, pepper and turkey berries together.
- Pour into a bowl and set aside
- Remove bones from the fish, wash it, break into pieces and set aside.
- Pour palm oil into a saucepan and place it over medium heat.
- Cut salted fish into pieces and put it inside the oil together with the momoni.
- Pour blended content into the cooking oil and stir.
- Simmer on medium heat.
- Add salmon, salt and seasoning cubes and cover it.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes till the stew thickens.
- Serve with ampesi (boiled yam, plantain and cocoyam)