Pilau rice is a Northern Indian dish made with rice, turmeric powder and some other spices. This method of cooking pilau rice came from Persia, which is known as Iran now.
It is simple to make and today, we will get to know what goes into the preparation of this dish.
1 small onion (chopped)
2 teaspoons of turmeric powder
1 teaspoon of groundnut oil
1 cinnamon stick (divided vertically)
½ teaspoon of cumin seeds (toasted and crushed)
1 bay leaf
Fresh thyme leaf
2 cardamom pods
4 cloves of garlic (ground)
1 ¼ cups of long grain rice
What Pilau Rice Can Be Served With
Pilau rice can be served with beef kofta curry, mixed vegetable curry, chicken jalfrezi, fish korma and brinjal bhaji.
- Pour some oil into a saucepan and let it heat up.
- Add onions and cook till it becomes soft.
- Add the cinnamon stick, garlic, turmeric powder, cardamom pods, cumin seeds, bay leaf and thyme. Stir and let it cook for a minute.
- Add the rice and stir till it mixes with the spice mixture. Then pour 600 mls of boiling water into the pan with the rice and spices.
- Cover it and let it cook on low heat for about 15 minutes till it becomes soft. When the steam dries out, fluff the rice up with a fork. It is now ready to serve.