An evening with hot banku and grilled tilapia won’t be a bad idea. Grilled tilapia is on the high demand in Ghana. It is mostly served with banku and pepper sauce.
In this post, I am going to make known to you.
• how to grill tilapia
• tips in grilling tilapia
• and many more.
Tilapia is a meaty fish that grills, steams and smokes perfectly. Tilapia, when salted, is known as the Ghanaian salted fish (‘Koobi’). It’s delicious and good for stew and soup.
Health Benefits of Tilapia
It contains Omega-3 fatty acids are healthy fats that lower inflammation and blood triglycerides
Tilapia is a lean source of protein that is full of various vitamins and minerals for growth
Tips for grilling tilapia
Use a fish basket to grill fish for easy flipping
Putting tilapia in a refrigerator before grilling allows the spice to be distributed perfectly, giving it that unique taste
Ingredients for grilling tilapia
• 2 or 3 Whole Tilapia
• 2 or 3 teaspoons of Cooking oil
• 1 Onions
• 2 cloves of Garlic
• Ginger( quantity of choice)
• Hot pepper
• Green Bell pepper
• Seasoning cube/powder
grilled tilapia ingredients
Steps grill tilapia.
1. Follow the directions below to get a perfectly grilled tilapia in Ghana.
2. Descale tilapia and remove any unwanted parts(gill covering and hard fins). Wash and clean it
3. Cut 2 diagonal slits of each side of the fish
4. Wash and blend garlic, ginger, onion and pepper
5. Pour blended ingredients in a bowl and add oil, season and salt to taste
6. Rub mixture over the fish( diagonal slits and inside of fish). You can keep fish in fridge for an hour or more before grilling it or grill immediately( any of preference)tilapia grilling
7. When using Oven, pre-heat oven. Sprinkle a little oil on pan and place fish in Pan before putting in the hot Oven. Grill tilapia for 5-10 mins on both sides. tilapia grilled
8. When using charcoal, brush the fish basket with oil and place fish in it. Place basket directly on top of charcoal fire and grill for 5-10mins on each sides. Make sure to keep fish soft and moist with oil while grilling. You can as well use a microwave.
9. Garnish with green bell pepper and onion. Serve Grilled Tilapia with Banku, Fried Rice and any food of choice. Enjoy!!!