Indulge in the rich and vibrant flavors of South African cuisine with this mouthwatering Pork Stew recipe. Bursting with tender chunks of pork shoulder, colorful vegetables, and aromatic spices, this stew is a true delight for the senses. With its roots in traditional South African cooking, this dish showcases the country’s love for hearty and comforting meals. Whether you’re hosting a gathering or simply craving a satisfying dinner, this South African Pork Stew is sure to impress. Get ready to savor the taste of Africa with every delicious spoonful.
- large pot
- Wooden spoon
- Cutting board
- Vegetable peeler
- can opener
- serving bowls
- pork shoulder
- vegetable oil
- tomatoes paste
- vegetable broth
- ground coriander
- salt and pepper
- ground cumin
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the pork chunks to the pot and brown them on all sides. Remove the pork from the pot and set aside
- In the same pot, add the chopped onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent and fragrant. Add the carrots, potatoes, and tomatoes to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Return the browned pork to the pot and mix it with the vegetables. In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato paste and beef or vegetable broth until well combined
- Pour the mixture into the pot. Add the bay leaves, ground coriander, ground cumin, paprika, dried thyme, salt, and pepper to the pot. Stir well to distribute the spices. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the pork is tender and cooked through. Taste the stew and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- Serve the South African Pork Stew hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley. This stew pairs well with rice, mashed potatoes, or crusty bread.