The Fat Cake recipe with baking powder is commonly associated with South African cuisine. Fat Cakes, also known as Vetkoek in Afrikaans, are a popular street food and snack in South Africa.
Regarding the time required, the preparation and cooking time for Fat Cakes can vary, but it typically takes around 30 to 45 minutes to make a batch. This includes the time needed to prepare the dough, heat the oil, fry the fat cakes, and allow them to cool slightly before serving.
Keep in mind that the time may vary depending on factors such as the size of the fat cakes and the number of batches you fry at once. It’s recommended to fry them in small batches to maintain consistent heat and ensure even cooking.
Enjoy the process of making these delicious Fat Cakes and savor them as a delightful snack or accompaniment to your meal!
Fat Cake Recipe With Baking Powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and granulated sugar. Mix well to ensure even distribution of the ingredients.
- Add the softened butter to the dry mixture and use your fingertips to rub it into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually pour in the milk while stirring the mixture with a spoon or your hands. Continue to mix until a soft dough forms. If needed, add more milk, a tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it gently for about 1-2 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep saucepan or fryer to a temperature of 350°F (175°C).
- While the oil is heating, take small portions of the dough and shape them into round or oval shapes, about the size of a golf ball. You can also flatten them slightly to create a disc shape.
- Carefully drop the shaped dough into the hot oil, frying a few at a time, without overcrowding the pan. Fry the fat cakes until they turn golden brown on all sides, flipping them occasionally for even cooking. This should take about 4-5 minutes per batch.
- Once cooked, use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove the fat cakes from the oil and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Allow the fat cakes to cool slightly before dusting them generously with powdered sugar.
- Serve the fat cakes warm or at room temperature. They are best enjoyed fresh on the day they are made
- Fat cakes are a traditional South African treat, often enjoyed with tea or as a snack. They have a soft, doughnut-like texture and are delightfully sweet. Enjoy!