Chanar payesh, also known as cottage cheese pudding, is a Bengali recipe made by boiling Indian cottage cheese known as chenna in milk with rice paste, sugar, cardamom powder and nuts. It can be eaten as a dessert or a snack.
Chanar payesh can be made in a variety of ways depending on the area, but the basic ingredients are the same. It can fit well as a great dessert during festive seasons.
In view of this, we bring you a simple chanar payesh recipe that you can make for your loved ones.
200 grams of chenna
1.5 litre of milk
1 bay leaf
1 cup of sugar
½ teaspoon of cardamom powder
2 tablespoons of cashew (crushed)
What Chanar Payesh Can Be Served With
It is usually served alone but garnished with dried fruits.
- Heavy bottom pan
- Cut the chenna into small dices.
- Bring milk to boil in a heavy bottom pan, add a bay leaf and let the milk boil till half its original quantity is left. Use the spatula to scrape the cream from the edges of the pan into the boiling milk.
- When the milk reduces, add sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the chana to the milk and boil for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle the cardamom powder on it.
- Add the crushed nuts to the chanar payesh and leave it to cool down. Keep it in the fridge for about 30 minutes and serve chilled.